Figurehead of the HMS Malacca
- Figurehead type
- Figurehead of the HMS Malacca
- Vessel name
- HMS Malacca
- Type (Naval/Merchant)
- Copyright owner
- © National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Copyright notes
- Photo: © National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Current location
- National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth
- Location date
- This male bust figurehead wears classical armour over a shirt and a plumed helmet. He has a moustache. In the original sketch by Hellyer & son, the figurehead depicted an Indian man wearing a striped shirt and turban.
- Hellyer & Son
- Date made
- Place made
- Wood - the ship is teak
- Object history
- This object was designed after Hellyer & Son of Portsmouth requested work from the Surveyor of the Navy in 1844. The carving is not identical to the design but presumably it was changed during the carving process. It could possibly be a replacement for a damaged original.
The surveyor requested designs for HMS Malacca and various other ships including Zebra and Goshawk. The carver was paid £9.0.0 for his work. However, the design by Hellyer & Son and the existing carving are not consistent with one another so it is believed that the figurehead was replaced due to damage at some point during its service. The figurehead is now preserved at NMRN.
- Vessel history
- HMS 'Malacca' was ordered by the East India Company in Bombay in May 1841. However, for some reason the decision was changed and seven years later in October 1848 the teak, wood screw sloop, 1,0346bm, 192ft was built in Moulmein Burma. She was launched from the same location in April 1853 but had to be sailed back to Chatham for her engines to be fitted. During the 1850’s she was stationed in the Mediterranean then the West Indies and North America. After being sold in 1869 for breaking up, 'Malacca' was resold to the Japanese Navy and served with them until 1906 as 'Tsukuba'.
- David Pulvertaft ‘The Warship Figureheads of Portsmouth’ (Stroud, 2009) p.84
- Owner type
- Public Institution
- Owner name
- National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Contact details
- National Museum of the Royal Navy, HM Naval Base (PP66), Portsmouth PO1 3NH
- Ownership can be cited online
- Accessible to public
- Data verified by owner
- Date verified
The figureheads database contains records of over 300 figureheads.