Figurehead of the Gravesend ex Spring
Gravesend ex Spring
© Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
Photo: © Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
A half-length female figurehead. She wears a red/white dress with a white shawl and gold collar. She has brown hair in a bun at the back and blue eyes looking right and slightly up.
H75 x W35 x D34 cms
The figurehead is part of a collection assembled by Sydney Cumbers and known as 'The Long John Silver Collection'. The figurehead was found supporting the corner of a chicken house in a back garden, but none of the notes say where this was.
This was a wooden topsail schooner of 136 tons, built by W. Dale of Kingsbridge, Devon, in 1867 for Yabley and Company of Salcombe. She was built for the West Indian fruit trade, and known accordingly as a Salcombe fruiterer. She was sold in 1888 to Rillston and Company of Fowey, and then sold again in 1892 to W. Bromley of London and renamed 'Gravesend' ending up as a powder hulk in Gravesend Reach in the Thames estuary.
The Cutty Sark Trust
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner