Lady of the Rose
© Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
Photo: © Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
A large full-length female figurehead in a cream dress with gold trim. It has a cream pedestal with gold scroll work. The left leg of the figure is shown as if stepping forward. She wears gold shoes. Her right arm is held across her body, and holds a yellow rose with green leaves. Her left arm is at her side. She has blond curly hair with the curls at the side of the head. She is has blue eyes and is looking to the right.
H230 x W82 x D85 cms
The figurehead is part of a collection assembled by Sydney Cumbers and known as 'The Long John Silver Collection'. The figurehead was originally found in a very dilapidated condition in English's Wood Yard at Wisbech, Cambridge, by a second-hand dealer. It was sold to Mr. Ihlee of Peterborough in about 1923. The local rumour was that the ship had been wrecked off the Norfolk coast. Mr. Ihlee handed the carving over to Mr. C. J. Hayward to restore, and Silver was in correspondence with him. This accounted for the figurehead being in a relatively good state of preservation when Silver acquired her.
From an unidentified vessel, possibly one of the French nitrite ships, named 'Helene'.
The Cutty Sark Trust
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner