Figurehead of the Eagle
© Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
Photo: © Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
Large gold eagle with open wings perched on black pedestal. Black and gold scrollwork on pedestal.
H155 x W84 x D51 cms
The figurehead is part of a collection assembled by Sydney Cumbers and known as 'The Long John Silver Collection'. This figurehead came from a full-rigged barque owned by Charles Hill and Sons of Bristol. It is a very fine piece of carving, but there is no record of how or when it was acquired.
Built in 1856, she eventually became a coal hulk.
The Cutty Sark Trust
Royal Museums Greenwich, London, SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner