Figurehead of the Bertha Marion
© Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
Photo: © Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
A three-quarter-length female figure wearing a belted overdress. She holds a rose in her right hand. Her left hand is by her side.
H260 x W65 x D60 cms
The figurehead is part of a collection assembled by Sydney Cumbers and known as 'The Long John Silver Collection'. Cumbers found this figurehead in the grounds of a house at Tiptree, Essex
'Bertha Marion' was a composite barque of 540 tons built at Sunderland in 1864. In 1879 she was sold to Trinder, Anderson & Co. and renamed 'Aralura'. In 1890 she was sold again to A.P. Jonson of Landskrona and renamed 'Beda'. Her final fate is unclear. The ship was named after Bertha Marion Coghill born 1863, the daughter of the ship owner Harry Coghill.
The Cutty Sark Trust
Royal Museums Greenwich, London, SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner