Stern Carving (possibly HMS Ganges)
© National Maritime Museum
Photo: © National Maritime Museum
Kidbrooke Stores, NMM
Stern carving depicting a classical warrior in a helmet and armour, flanked by military trophies - banners, spear, sword, cannon, worm, sponge and shot. The surface is painted. The item was previously held at HMS 'Ganges'.
H65 x W199 x D36 cms
Previously held at HMS Ganges.
HMS Ganges was a 2nd rate, 84 guns, she was built of teak at Bombay Dockyard under the direction of master builder Jamsetjee Bomanjee Wadia and launched in 1821. She was the flagship on the South America Station, then she served in the Mediterranean. From 1857-61 she was based at Valparaiso and Esquimalt. From 1866 she became a boys training ship at Mylor, Cornwall. She was eventually moved to Harwich, then in 1903 to Shotley still acting as a training establishment. In 1906 she was renamed 'Tenedos III'. After a move to Devonport and further changes of name, she was finally broken up in 1930. The captain’s cabin was built into the Burgh Island Hotel, Devon.
National Maritime Museum
Royal Museums Greenwich, London, SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner