Figurehead of the Salmon
© National Maritime Museum
Photo: © National Maritime Museum
Figurehead in the form of a fish. The finish in 2011 was gold.
H152.4 x W189.9 x D38 cms
Accepted by HM Treasury in lieu of Estate Duty in 1979 from Robert Arthur Dorien-Smith. The collection was begun by Augustus Smith (1806-72) who leased the islands from the Duchy of Cornwall. The figureheads in the Valhalla Collection came from vessels wrecked on Scilly.
‘Salmon’ details at the time of the wreck. Wooden schooner of 178 tons, registered at Scilly. Built by Laprise, Quebec, 1859. Dimensions (in feet and tenths): 96.6 x 23 x 12.0. Owner: James Philips, St. Mary’s, Scilly. Registered voyage: London to East London. Cargo: general cargo. Master at loss: Jenkins, Scilly. Wrecked: 15 January 1871. She had been converted to schooner rig in 1869, having been built as a brigantine, and was sheltering off St. Mary’s on passage for South Africa when her anchor cable parted. She was driven onto the Mare Ledges off the south end of Tresco, Isles of Scilly, in a south-westerly gale. All her crew were saved, as well as her figurehead.
''Valhalla' The Tresco Ships' Figurehead Collection' (NMM, 1984).
National Maritime Museum
Royal Museums Greenwich, London, SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner