Figurehead of the HMS Nymphe
HMS Nymphe, 1888
© St George's Centre, Gillingham
Photo: © St George's Centre, Gillingham
St George's Centre, Gillingham
Three-quarter-length female figurehead, with long hair. She wears classical garments with a wreath in her hair and holds a posy of flowers in her right hand. Her left arm is placed across her waist.
An 8 gun, 1140 tons screw, composite sloop launched at Portsmouth in 1888. She served on the Pacific station and was later used as a harbour training ship. She was renamed 'Wildfire' in 1906 and attached to the gunnery school at Sheerness where from 1908 she was the General Depot Ship. Her name changed again to 'Gannet' in 1916 and 'Pembroke' in 1917. She was sold for breaking up in 1920.
Admiralty Catalogue (1911) No. 644
St George's Centre
St George's Centre, Gillingham, Kent
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner