Figurehead of the HMS Ganges
© HMS Ganges Museum, Shotley
HMS Ganges Museum, Shotley
Crowned male bust, half-length, representing an Indian wearing five ropes of pearls. The figure wears a high-necked robe with bands round each arm. The lower part of the figure is draped and terminates in a scroll.
A 2nd rate, 84 guns, she was built of teak at Bombay Dockyard under the direction of master builder Jamsetjee Bomanjee Wadia and launched in 1821. She was the flagship on the South America Station, then she served in the Mediterranean. From 1857-61 she was based at Valparaiso and Esquimalt. From 1866 she became a boys training ship at Mylor, Cornwall. She was eventually moved to Harwich, then in 1903 to Shotley still acting as a training establishment. In 1906 she was renamed 'Tenedos III'. After a move to Devonport and further changes of name, she was finally broken up in 1930. The captain’s cabin was built into the Burgh Island Hotel, Devon.
Admiralty Catalogue(1911) No.666
HMS Ganges Museum
HMS Ganges Museum, Shotley Marina, Shotley, Suffolk IP9 1QJ
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner