Figurehead of the 'Lord Clyde'
© The Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
Photo © The Cutty Sark Trust Copyright
The figurehead of the ship 'Lord Clyde' depicting a major in a Scottish regiment (formerly known as General Havelock). He holds a scroll in his right hand, his left on the hilt of a sword. A plaid is draped across the left shoulder. The figure has a moustache.
H152.4 x W50.8 x D48.3 cms
This figurehead was stored by the National Maritime Museum on behalf of the Cutty Sark Trust for a number of years and was collected by them on 1st April 2005. This figurehead was part of the Long John Silver Collection presented to the Cutty Sark Preservation Trust, forerunner of the Cutty Sark Trust, in 1953 by Mr Cumbers, also known as 'Captain Silver'. See GEN/19994; REG04/000267.Returned to owners, Cutty Sark Trust.
'Lord Clyde' was built in 1875 by Stephen & Sons of Glasgow. She was renamed 'Trifolium' when bought by a Swedish owner John Olson in 1902. The vessel was lost in at Sennen Cove, Cornwall on 15th March 1914 (information from Richard Hunter).
The Cutty Sark Trust
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner