Figurehead of the HMS Russell
© National Maritime Museum
Photo: © National Maritime Museum
Kidbrooke Stores, National Maritime Museum
Figurehead of HMS 'Russell', representing Admiral Edward Russell, 1st Earl of Orford. On the left side is a shield bearing the Union flag inscribed with the name 'LA HOGUE'. This refers to Russell's victory over the French in 1692 in the bay of La Hogue (near Cherbourg) which neutralized the threat of the exiled James II invading England to reclaim his throne from his joint-monarch son-in-law and daughter, King William III and Mary II.
H264.2 x W106.7 x D99 cms
The figurehead was made for the sum of £21. Figurehead was presented to the NMM by the Admiralty in 1936, having previously been housed in the Admiralty Police Parade Room of Devonport Dockyard.
The ship was a 74-gun third-rate launched at Deptford Dockyard in 1822 after eight years on the stocks. She was converted to a screw auxiliary with Penn's machinery in 1854 and broken-up in 1865.
Admiralty Catalogue (1911) No 449
National Maritime Museum
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner