Figurehead of the HMS Royal George (George IV)
HMS Royal George
© National Maritime Museum
Photo: © National Maritime Museum
Kidbrooke Stores, National Maritime Museum
Figurehead of HMS 'Royal George' in the form of a bust of George IV in Roman armour, crowned with a laurel wreath. Probably all that remains of a very large, full sized figurehead.
H148.6 x W149.9 x D72.4 cms
Presented to the NMM by the Admiralty in 1936, having been previously housed on the 2nd floor of the Rigging House in Devonport Dockyard.
The ship was a 120-gun first-rate, originally the 'Neptune' but renamed during building about 1823 and launched at Chatham Dockyard in 1827. HMS Royal George served in the Baltic between 1854-1855, before being undocked at Chatham as a screw ship in 1856. Between 1865-1875 she was a receiving ship at Portsmouth and finally sold to Castles' of Charlton for breaking in 1875.
Admiralty Catalogue(1911) No 447
National Maritime Museum
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner