Bow carving of the HMS Albatross
© National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth
A bow scroll including a small, standing albatross.
The figurehead was preserved at Chatham Dockyard and is listed as being there in 1938. By 1949, the carving had been moved to HMS Ganges. After this institution closed, the item was transferred to the National Museum of the Royal Navy in 1984.
HMS 'Albatross' was a composite screw sloop built at Chatham Dockyard in 1873. She is a good example of the transition from sail to steam with her masts and single propeller, powered by an early compound engine made by Humpreys & Tennant. After a short career serving on the China station and in British waters she was broken up at Chatham in 1889.
David Pulvertaft ‘The Warship Figureheads of Portsmouth’ (Stroud, 2009) p.105
National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, HM Naval Base (PP66), Portsmouth PO1 3NH
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner