Figurehead of the HMS Supply
© National Museum of the Royal Navy
Photo: © National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth
Carved as a half-length nude female figure with bunches of grapes held in both hands, her left breast is covered by sash over her shoulder. Her hair is decorated with vine leaves and small bunches of grapes suggesting the victualling stores that would have been included in the items that she provided to the fleet.
After the ship was broken up there in 1879, the figurehead remained at Chatham. When the Royal Dockyard there closed, she was transferred to the Royal Sailor’s Home in Queen Street, Portsmouth. By 2005 she was in bad condition and was rescued for renovation by a figurehead historian and wood carver from Gosport, Eric Walker. She was later acquired by the National Museum of the Royal Navy.
An iron screw storeship 6386bm 178ft built at Blackwall by C.J. Mare. She was purchased by the Admiralty before she was launched in 1854.
David Pulvertaft ‘The Warship Figureheads of Portsmouth’ (Stroud, 2009) p.109
National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, HM Naval Base (PP66), Portsmouth PO1 3NH
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner