Bow carving from the HMS Pigmy
© National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth
Union flag in rope border with a crown above and the Royal Arms below.
Listed in the Portsmouth Dockyard Museum Catalogue of 1911.
Wood Paddle Packet built by Humble of Hurry of Liverpool as Sibyl. In 1837 she was transferred to the Admiralty when they took over the mail packet service. Renamed 'Pigmy', she was armed with a twelve-pounder carronade and deployed as a gunboat in the Baltic Campaign during 1854. She was used as a tender in Portsmouth before being broken up there in 1879.
David Pulvertaft ‘The Warship Figureheads of Portsmouth’ (Stroud, 2009) p.102
National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, HM Naval Base (PP66), Portsmouth PO1 3NH
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner