Figurehead of HMS Carnatic
© National Museum of the Royal Navy
Photo: © National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth
This moustached Indian male figurehead wears a red beaded and jewelled turban on his head. His white tunic is believed to have been striped but the paint has worn off. Over his tunic he wears a chain of office. The bust is draped in a blue carved fabric.
4th May 1914 (letter dated from admiralty requesting the figurehead be allocated to the Portsmouth Dockyard Museum).
HMS 'Carnatic' was built in Portsmouth Dockyard in 1823 named after the Karnatic in South-East India. However, the 3rd rate, 72 gun ship was never commissioned. Paid for by the East India Company, the ship remained in Portsmouth acting as a store and then in 1860 as a coal hulk. It was then used as a powder store on loan to the War Department between 1886 and 1891 and subsequently by the Admiralty. In 1914 she was sold and broken up in Germany.
David Pulvertaft ‘The Warship Figureheads of Portsmouth’ (Stroud, 2009) p.44
National Museum of the Royal Navy
National Museum of the Royal Navy, HM Naval Base (PP66), Portsmouth PO1 3NH
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner