Figurehead of the HMS Hogue

Basic Information

FigID
F0025
InstID
FHD0083
Figurehead type
Figurehead
Title
Figurehead of the HMS Hogue
Vessel name
HMS Hogue
Type (Naval/Merchant)
Naval
Copyright owner
© National Maritime Museum
Copyright notes
Photo: © National Maritime Museum
Current location
Kidbrooke Stores, National Maritime Museum
Location date
30/01/2013

Physical Information

Description
Half-length, polychrome-painted, pine figurehead of a lion, from HMS 'Hogue'. The lion holds a shield on which is painted the British royal coat of arms. It is one of the last representatives of a lion tradition which dates back to Elizabethan times.
Maker
Unknown
Date made
Unknown
Place made
Unknown
Size
H185.4 x W86.4 x D127 cms
Materials
Wood: Pine, Oil Paint
Object history
Housed in NW corner of Gymnasium, Devonport House untill being presented to the NMM by the Admiralty in 1936
Vessel history
HMS 'Hogue' was a 74-gun, 3rd rate built at Deptford Dockyard in 1811. The vessel was in service with the Coastguard in the Clyde with 'Prince Albert' as her tender. The vessel was also involved in the American War of 1812, leading an expedition which destroyed 27 American Privateers. The ship went on a Baltic Expedition in 1848 before being completed as a screw auxiliary in 1850 and was present at the attack on Bomarsund in 1854. She was broken up at Devonport in 1865.
Bibliography
Peter Norton 'Figureheads'(1972) p.15
Admiralty Catalogue(1911) No 424

Ownership Information

Owner type
Public Institution
Owner name
National Maritime Museum
Contact details
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Yes
Accessible to public
By appointment
Data verified by owner
Yes
Date verified

Connect with us

Our social media space