Figurehead of the HMS Serpent
© National Maritime Museum
Photo: © National Maritime Museum
Kidbrooke Stores, National Maritime Museum
A serpent with several coils. The figurehead consists of four parts, FHD0080.1, FHD0080.2 , FHD0080.3 and a sign FHD0080.4.
H365.8 x W106.7 cms
Made by Hellyer for the sum of £6.10.0. Formerly at the Victualling Yard at HM Dockyard Chatham and was permanently loaned to the NMM by the Admiralty in May 1963. NMM records note that it was previously at the Royal Victoria Victualling Yard Deptford. However the figurehead of 'Serpent' was at Chatham as early as 1911.This item has been associated with HMS 'Gulnare' 1833 in NMM records. Re-attributed to HMS 'Serpent' 1832 by David Pulvertaft, see ADM87/11 - a J.E. Hellyer drawing dated 1841. There is a photograph of the complete reptile in the 1938 'Figureheads in Dockyard, Royal Naval Barracks and Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham'.
HMS 'Serpent' was a brig sloop 16 built at Limehouse in 1832 and broken up in Portsmouth in 1861. HMS 'Gulnare' was a wood paddle gun vessel, built at Chatham in 1833, rebuilt in 1838 and renamed 'Gleaner'. She was broken up at Deptford in 1849.
National Maritime Museum
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner