Figurehead of the HMS Bristol
© National Maritime Museum
Photo: © National Maritime Museum
On display in Neptune Court, NMM
A yellow-ochre painted female head which formed the figurehead of HMS 'Bristol'. The original figurehead was a three quarter length bust of which the head and neck has survived.
H55.9 x W45.7 x D55.9 cms
Organic; Wood; Pine; Lead paint
Designed by Hellyer for the sum of £27.10.0 Ex-Castles & Co, Baltic Warf, Milbank. This item was presented by Mr A. V. B. Prowse AMRINA in 1963.
HMS 'Bristol' was a wooden screw frigate of 51 guns, 3027 tons burthen, built at Woolwich Dockyard in 1861. It was later reduced to 31 guns. HMS 'Bristol' served as a training ship, with cadets from Britannia Royal Naval College and was later deployed in East Africa and on the Congo River. HMS 'Bristol' was later off Madeira and Bahia with the Flying Squadron, returning to England in 1869. In 1871 she arrived in Plymouth sound and departed the next day for Portsmouth, still serving as a naval cadet's training ship. From April 1871 through to 1879 she served at the South American station, before returning to Portsmouth. HMS 'Bristol' was sold out of the Navy in 1883 and broken up by Castles' Shipbreaking Company Ltd.
David Pulvertaft'Figureheads Of The Royal Navy'( Seaforth, 2011) p.208
National Maritime Museum
Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Ownership can be cited online
Accessible to public
Data verified by owner